Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Encourager

The past year I have been involved in a womens bible study at church. I have met some amazing women who love the Lord, but one in particular has caught my attention. She always had something good to say, not just in generalities, but specific bits of encouragement. Genuine interest in my endeavors, problems and joys. She is an encourager. This is something that has been weighing heavily on my heart lately. I find myself not wanting to settle, when I really need to remember that just because my best is better/different does not make someone elses best worse. I also realize that I am not the best at everything I do, but expect others to accept ME where I am. I have to remind myself to take a walk in their shoes and appreciate the effort, help and encourage growth...not eliminate or discount people because they are not the best, have not reached their goal/potential. I am sarcastic by nature, and find myself in regret more often than I should because of things I have said. I want to encourage, I want to teach, but also want to have/be the best in life. So I guess this all leads to the question, where is your hope?

In the past I have put more stock in what people around me thought of my life, talents, stuff, job, etc than in what God thought of these things. My heart is changing, but my habits are engrained. Step by step I guess, it's a process of change. God is working in me though.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Well I'm glad you want to improve as an encourager. Even happier that you have such a person in your life.

You are a giver of mercy -- empathy. You come along side and just by "being there" you help.